Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Movie Review: Paper Towns

Photo from: Paper Towns Facebook page

Star Rating 4/5: 

So I recently saw Paper Towns directed by Jake Schreier and starring Nat Wolff, Cara Delevingne, Austin Abrams, Justice Smith, Halston Sage and Jaz Sincalir. It is a mystery/drama film. Paper Towns is a fantastic film, which really kept my interest throughout the whole movie. 

For a basic sum up of the plot line, Quentin Jacobsen [Nat Wolff] has lived across the road from his childhood crush, Margo Roth - Spiegelman [Cara Delevingne] since they were little kids. By the end of high school Quentin and Margo have drifted apart. Quentin becomes a quiet and studious boy, whereas Margo becomes popular and rebellious. After some issues with her friends Margo enlists Quentin's help to seek revenge on them, and the next day Margo is nowhere to be found, however she leaves clues behind that take Quentin and his friends on a journey of a lifetime. 

I've never seen Cara Delevingne or Nat Wolff in anything before, but I really enjoyed their performances in the film. I would definitely go and see another movie with Cara Delevingne in it and I think she has a long film career ahead of her. 

I loved how this movie has a bit of everything in it from funny moments to touching ones. Some funny highlights are Ben Starling's [Austin Abrams] frequent attempts to pick up girls and the collection of black santas at Radar's [Justice Smith] house. One of the sweetest moments in the film is when Quentin and Margo are dancing. Even though it's not a really a comedy the film had funny scenes in it here and there, which made the audience laugh. Of course the mystery theme of the movie kept me interested and entertained as well. 

I think the film had a pretty clear message about taking risks and having adventures in your life, because Margo is always doing risky things, and she teaches Quentin to let go and do it too. I thought the film conveyed that message quite well because by the end of the movie Quentin understood more about Margo's adventurous lifestyle.

Without giving the ending of the film away for those of you who haven't seen it yet, there is a little bit of a twist at the end, which I was surprised by, but I guess it keeps up with the mystery theme of the movie. Paper Towns is actually based on a book of the same name. The novel is written by John Green, who incidentally also wrote The Fault In Our Stars. I actually think if you enjoyed The Fault In Our Stars you'd also enjoy Paper Towns

Overall Paper Towns was a great film, with a mix of mystery, drama and laughs. It is honestly one of the best films I've seen this year and it really exceeded my expectations. 

Paper Towns official trailer courtesy of: 20th Century Fox

Have any of you guys seen Paper Towns? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments and suggestions!