Thursday, September 11, 2014

Movie Review: Into The Storm

Photo from: Into The Storm Facebook page

Star Rating 3/5:

I went to see Into The Storm a couple of days ago. The film is directed by Steven Quale and stars Richard Armitage, Sarah Wayne Callies, Matt Walsh, Arlen Escarpeta and Jeremy Sumpter. In general I thought it was a good movie, although I did think it took a while for the action to start. The movie is an action/natural disaster film. Of course I will not be giving too much of the plot line away for people who haven't seen it yet, but the basic plot is that in the span of a single day, the town of Silverton is ravaged by an unprecedented onslaught of tornados. Each tornado is worse than the previous and the entire town is at the mercy of the erratic and deadly cyclones.

I saw the movie in Vmax so the sound quality was amazing. The sound was so powerful sometimes that I felt a rumbling under my chair. For me personally that is a positive thing because in an action film I think people do want a great cinematic sound as it makes you feel like you are actually part of the action.

As I mentioned I thought the movie was quite slow to start off with. For the first half an hour I was thinking "where's the storm already?" The film is a little less than an hour and a half long and I think that's usually quite short for an action film so I did expect the storm itself to come in a lot earlier than it did. If there was more action at the beginning of the film I would've given it a 3.5 star rating rather than a 3, because that's what really dragged the movie down for me. I went to see the movie with my friend so I asked her for her opinion on whether she thought the movie was slow to start because I wanted someone else's take on it and she agreed with me. Once the storm hit though the movie was action packed, dramatic and suspenseful. I was literally on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next! 

For a movie about a storm one would expect a lot of special effects, right? Well, the special effects in this movie definitely delivered. There were a few fire scenes, which I thought were pretty impressive and they certainly fit in well with what was going on in the film. It was great to see Jeremy Sumpter in a film, because I haven't seen him in anything for a very long time, probably since Peter Pan in 2003. I enjoyed seeing him in a movie as an adult and in a very different role. I haven't heard of any of the other lead cast members before. To be quite honest I didn't think the acting in the film was that great. Don't get me wrong it wasn't terrible, but at the same time I wouldn't say it is anything to write home about either. The actors and actresses performances in the film were pretty mediocre. 

Overall, I actually did enjoy the movie because it turned out to be very action packed, suspenseful and dramatic, despite the slow start. If you like other natural disaster films like Twister and The Day After Tomorrow you will probably enjoy this one too.

                             Into The Storm official trailer courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures
                
If any of you have also seen Into The Storm I'd love to know what you thought of it so feel free to leave your comments in the comment box below!                                                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments and suggestions!