Friday, April 24, 2015

Movie Review: The Longest Ride

Photo from: The Longest Ride Facebook page





Star Rating 3.5/5: ½



So, I went to see The Longest Ride yesterday starring Scott Eastwood, Britt Robertson, Alan Alda, Jack Huston and Oona Chaplin. The film is based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks and was adapted for the screen by Craig Bolotin. It is directed by George Tillman Jr. Overall I thought it was a really enjoyable movie to watch because there was a lot to keep the audience entertained. 

The movie is a romantic drama. Without giving too much away the basic plot of the film is about Sophia Danko [Britt Robertson], who is a senior in college in North Carolina. Her friend, Marcia [Melissa Benoist] drags her off to watch a rodeo, where she meets attractive bull rider, Luke Collins [Scott Eastwood]. After a car crash their lives get intertwined with an old man, Ira Levinson [Alan Alda] and we follow the love story of Sophia and Luke as well as getting flashbacks to a young Ira's [Jack Huston] and his wife Ruth's [Oona Chaplin] love story.

I thought the film was very well-paced. Sometimes with these kinds of films I find that the storyline drags on, but with this one I didn't feel like the love story of Sophia and Luke was to rushed, nor was it to slow. I liked the fact that there was a dramatic scene early on to keep people enthralled.

The relationship between Sophia and Luke is a really nice and cute love story. The love stories of Sophia and Luke and Ira and Ruth were both emotionally involving. I think the way they followed both couples simultaneously was done successfully because we were in suspense and wanted to know more about both of them. I liked the flashbacks to the old Jewish love story. Since I am Jewish myself it gave the movie a bit of a personal touch so that made it even more enjoyable! I think the movie has a strong message about making sacrifices for the person that you love because both couples have to sacrifice something in their life to be with their respective partners.

As far as special effects go there wasn't a lot in this film, but it's just your typical romance movie, so I kind of expected that walking into the cinema. If you're after a movie with stellar special effects then you'll probably be disappointed.

 I've never seen anything with Scott Eastwood in it before and I saw Britt Robertson in Keeping Up With The Steins when she was about 16 years old. I thought they had good on screen chemistry together.   In general I thought the movie was very sweet and it was definitely dramatic! The only thing that stopped me giving the movie a 4 out of 5 was that I would've liked to see the character of Luke's mother, Kate [Lolita Davidovich] developed a bit more because in the film you can tell he is close to her. It is your standard romantic type movie but if you like films such as The Notebook and Dear John you'll most likely enjoy this one!

                                          The Longest Ride official trailer courtesy of: 20TH Century
                                                                                                                    Fox

Have any of you guys seen The Longest Ride? Let me know your thoughts and opinions on it in the box below! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments and suggestions!